[mythtv] Playback performance on Mac OS X

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Jan 9 16:15:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:05 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:

> However, when I use VLC to play the same file, it looks almost
> perfect, with only barely perceptible jerkiness due, presumably, to
> the fact that my Mac Mini can't quite keep up with playback.  I
> grepped the MythTV source for CONFIG_DARWIN to find the
> Darwin-specific playback code, but came up empty.  Perhaps we *need*
> some darwin-specific playback code?  And if Darwin-specific playback
> code turns out to help, doesn't it indicate that the playback code
> MythTV is using for all other platforms today could be a whole lot
> more efficient?
Nigel may correct me, but I believe that there is no hardware
optimization of the OSX playback. This being the case, I doubt any
Mac can keep up with HDTV, Mac Mini least of all.

> Also: does all MythTV playback go through NuppelVideoPlayer?
Yep. It is no longer appropriately named.

> If this is really something that can be fixed by configuration rather
> than programming, my apologies in advance, but so far I think it's a
> developer issue.
I doubt this will get fixed unless someone gives Nigel a check that
allows him to take a 2 month sabbatical from his regular job to work
on hardware accelerated OS X video output.

-- Daniel