[mythtv] Playback performance on Mac OS X

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jan 9 17:39:50 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:05 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> However, when I use VLC to play the same file, it looks almost
>> perfect, with only barely perceptible jerkiness due, presumably, to
>> the fact that my Mac Mini can't quite keep up with playback.  I
>> grepped the MythTV source for CONFIG_DARWIN to find the
>> Darwin-specific playback code, but came up empty.  Perhaps we *need*
>> some darwin-specific playback code?  And if Darwin-specific playback
>> code turns out to help, doesn't it indicate that the playback code
>> MythTV is using for all other platforms today could be a whole lot
>> more efficient?
> Nigel may correct me, but I believe that there is no hardware
> optimization of the OSX playback. This being the case, I doubt any
> Mac can keep up with HDTV, Mac Mini least of all.
>
>> Also: does all MythTV playback go through NuppelVideoPlayer?
> Yep. It is no longer appropriately named.
>
>> If this is really something that can be fixed by configuration rather
>> than programming, my apologies in advance, but so far I think it's a
>> developer issue.
> I doubt this will get fixed unless someone gives Nigel a check that
> allows him to take a 2 month sabbatical from his regular job to work
> on hardware accelerated OS X video output.

Ouch; that really motivates me to give up on the Mac for a frontend.
Your estimate of the work involved is slightly surprising considering
that there are some fine high-level interfaces for OSX playback that
are nearly fast enough.  Why don't you think we could use those?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting