[mythtv] OSX backend beta test

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:08:13 UTC 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 3:46 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:28 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>>> I'm beginning to wonder if using MacOS for MythTV is such a hot idea
>>> in the first place, as there seem to be important parts of the
>>> system
>>> that would need to be ported.  Several features like mythbrowser,
>>> transcode, mythmusic, mythgame, and mythphone, (and, I presume,
>>> upcoming DVD burning(?), which is important to me), seem to rely on
>>> linux specifics, and I guess it's going to be nontrivial to port
>>> those
>>> to MacOS.  I really like the idea of a MacOS MythTV appliance,
>>> but not
>>> if it's going to be a full-time job to get there.
>>
>> You're not the only person who wants OSX to be better supported.
>
> I'm sure.  The question is whether anyone else is willing to make
> further _investment_ in it.
>
>> I'm planning on repurposing my wife's Mac Mini when she retires it.
>> It would be great to be able to hook it up to the Firewire port on
>> our cable box at that point.
>
> Well, you can do *that* much since yesterday :)
>
>> Transcode and commercial flagging should be fairly simple to port,
>> there shouldn't be any platform specific code in there (though there
>> are always little snippets.)
>
> Unfortunately yes; if you enable transcode in config, the build
> fails.  I didn't think there was any problem with commercial flagging,
> though (?)
I have built mythtranscode on the mac (about a month ago).  There
were a few changes needed, but I think the patch was applied to SVN.
I am willing to invest time in the mac development, however, I don't
have a firewire recorder to test / develop with.  Also, I am just
getting started with mac / myth development.  I'll contribute what I
can.

Geoff