[mythtv] qam scanning and myth svn not picking up 0x1ffb pid

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Jan 13 15:08:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 00:06 -0500, Michael Freeman wrote:
> i recently noticed that comcast in my area is sending a seemingly
> standard-compliant PID on the physical channels that carried local
> digital stations.
> pid 0x1ffb is defined in a couple of spec documents as the pid
> carrying the info about the channels in the mpeg2 transport
> stream...yet myth has no idea it happens to exist.
> can anyone advise me on how to turn on some debugging for this? i'd
> really like to try and make myth get the info out of here.

That's very cool of Comcast. It's required by law and all on
the broadcast channels, but RCN Manhattan is still not doing it.
Anyway, the scan should be picking up PSIP tables on 0x1ffb.
First you should try to increase the channel timeout in the
card setup to something like 60 seconds. If this doesn't work,
there is probably something broken. I couldn't test this feature
on cable because my provider doesn't transmit the tables, but
the code is the same as used by ATSC OTA, so it should work.

I'm assuming you are using a fairly recent SVN revision, if you
are using 0.18.1 or earlier the ATSC scan does not scan QAM, and
the DVB scan does not look for ATSC tables on 0x1ffb.

-- Daniel