[mythtv] Problems with Bob Playback

Kevin Cody Jr. kcodyjr at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 23:01:28 UTC 2006

I'm still experimenting with this, so YMMV, but...

1.) If you're outputting to an interlaced mode, you shouldn't be doing
-anything- to the signal: match the monitor resolution to the capture
resolution, do not deinterlace by any means, and more importantly:

2.) Make sure your vertical refresh is synced to the source stream.
You're in PAL, so you need a 50Hz refresh rate - no getting around it.

With this approach, you shouldn't see any motion or scaling artifacts at
all. You will probably see the spaces between lines at 720x576, and in
an interlaced mode you'll definitely see the odd line phosphors fade
before the even lines are drawn, resulting in a twitchy picture.
Televisions have much slower phosphors.

Alternatively, you can process the signal to improve visible image
quality. YMMV, but try the following (only applies to CRT via VGA/DVI):

1.) Set your display to double the capture resolution, both directions.
2.) Use linear or kernel deinterlacing and progressive output.
3.) Set the vertical refresh to an even multiple of the source rate -
for PAL, any multiple of 25 from 75Hz up will do. NTSC will want 120Hz
if possible, 90Hz if not.

Allowing a noneven multiple refresh rate guarantees motion jitter. This
is one place where NTSC is actually more useful than PAL, for there is
no practical refresh rate that can be divided both by 25Hz (video) and
24Hz (film). 120Hz, however, divides cleanly by both 24 and 30.

IMO it's better for NTSC users to pick 90Hz at 2x resolution over 120Hz
at only 480 output lines; I can still see the spaces between lines even
in progressive mode regardless of refresh rate. Older monitors, and more
expensive recent monitors, might not have this problem.