[mythtv] XvMC studdering

Kirby Bakken kirby at magnaspeed.net
Tue Jan 17 15:20:02 UTC 2006

Geoffrey Kruse wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Dave Just wrote:
>
>> Could you (or anyone else who has managed to get it working well)
>> share the settings that you use: inc extra audio buffer, aggressive
>> sound card buffering and esp the RingBuffer size compared with RAM on
>> the machine?  I'm still finding it hard to get completely smooth
>> playback on my system (XP 1900, GeForce MX 440, FC4/2.6.14, NV 7676).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> I have XvMC working very smoothly on a celeron 450 with 192mb of
> ram.  This is with an agp nvidia 5200.  The setting that makes the
> biggest difference is to turn on chromakey osd.  This frees up an
> additional buffer on the card for video decoding that was previously
> used for osd.  There is not yet a setting in the setup page for
> mythfrontend, however the setting can be enabled with an entry in the
> database.  Search the -dev list to find the setting as I can't
> remember what it is exactly.  Also, I have found that OpenGL vsync
> actually causes more stuttering and adds extra processor load.   I
> run with OpenGL vsync off.
>
> Geoff

I believe that Nvidia driver 7676 and earlier 'works' with OpenGL
vsync...  Any driver after that doesn't work.  Nvidia knows about that
problem and it is reportedly fixed in 'internal only' drivers that they
intend to release in the 'next month' or so....  Meanwhile, I too run
with OpenGL vsync off.  There's the occasional 'horizontal' seam in the
picture...  but oh well....