[mythtv] Rank and favourites strangeness

Sun Jan 22 10:39:48 UTC 2006

Hi,
   I think I've just found some rather buggy behaviours, but as it is
the first time I've used this part of myth, I wanted to post here to
check I wasn't just being an idiot.

Firstly, some background:  In Aus some of the stations transmit HD
channels as well as SD channels (talking DVB here).  The two channels
have exactly the same programming, just different resolution for some
of the programs.  I have scanned in all those channels, and I have
guide data that lets me know when the HD channels are actually
transmitting HD content (separate XMLTV ids, the HD XMLTV channel
only has data for the HD programs).

In general I only want the SD content, but I was hoping to play with
HD sometime soon.  So I wanted to have the HD channels viewable, but
usually hidden.  To do this I was going to reduce their rank so that
any scheduled recordings would be taken from the SD channels, and I
was going to mark the normal channels as favourites, and then have
the EPG only show favourites by default.

Setting channel ranks:  It seems that the rank selection in the
channel editor in mythtv-setup is broken.  You can adjust the rank,
but it never gets saved.  Once you leave a channel page, and then re-
enter it, the rank is set to 0... even if it is non-zero in mysql.
   You CAN set the channel rank from within mythfrontend.  If you set
it there, then it shows up in the database.

Setting favourite channels: This just seems broken.  I went in to the
EPG and hit '?'.  Myth added '*'s to the beginning and end of the
channel.  I could hit / and the channels would move around.  It
didn't seem to hide non-favourites so much as move them to the bottom
of the list.  Then after I played with it for a while trying to
figure out exactly what was going on I got it into a state where I
had 5 callsigns/icons down the left hand side, but only two, very
tall, rows of channel information in the EPG.  Surely the callsigns
should always match the actual guide information?  Should hiding the
non-favourite channels actually hide them, or is this a documentation
issue and it is meant to just change the sorting?

At the moment I've just set the HD channels to invisible again, and
am assuming their rank stops them from picking up stray recordings.
We'll see how that goes.

Be well,

Will          :-}