[mythtv] automatic 14:9 or 4:3 zoom based on black bars detection?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06a at crowcastle.net
Sun Jul 2 20:29:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 13:20 +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> I got a widescreen TV but most TV material here comes in 4:3 format.
> Such is best viewed with a 14:9 Zoom (I have patched MythTV to offer
> the 14:9 Zoom) to limit the wide black bars at left and right side by
> such partial zooming (14:9 zoom is right between no zoom and 4:3
> zoom).

I also added a 14:9 zoom because a bunch of shows on BBC America are
half-letterboxed with a 14:9 region of the image containing the picture
(with smaller black bars than regular letterboxed shows).

What I've found is that it's nice for avoiding the overscan in zoomed
shows.  I've set the size of the menu windows to avoid the overscan, but
I do playback using the full screen, which looks "right" with regular
shows.  What would be perfect is to have the option to scale the
playback to the UI size, but only when zooming.  Then the zoom modes
would work perfectly for me.