[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Wed Jul 5 06:08:15 UTC 2006

Paul Andreassen wrote:
> In my limited testing it wouldn't schedule a program even though it would fit,
> until some random changing of priorities.
>
> The patch I mentioned which I believe is the cause, came about due to the
> concern that soft padding should always be soft. As I've already posted, I
> quite like the idea that if someone has disabled SchedMoveHigher then they
> probably want higher priority programs not to drop soft padding. But I'm
> easy. ;-)

The problem there is that SchedMoveHigher is disabled by default. So we
would have some default situations in which soft padding becomes hard.
And that would be very bad. The difference between soft and hard padding
is already a little hard to grasp, without having one type unexpectedly
transform into the other.

If SchedMoveHigher was *enabled* by default, then I can see there's a
case to be made that when someone wants to set their high-priority shows
in stone, and signals this by turning off SchedMoveHigher, he also wants
his soft padding to turn hard. That's may be true in many cases...
although I don't know if it's true for all of them. I'm a little wary
because they are two related but distinct behaviors.

But anyway, that's not the situation. Our default behavior must be that
soft padding is indeed always soft.

Is it possible to fix whatever is causing this occasional sub-optimal
scheduling without violating that concept?

> Have you tried the partial soft padding I've posted? The commented section is
> to be used if you drop the above mentioned patch.
>
> I currently run with channel selected partial soft padding,

I tried, but I'm confused about what I'm supposed to be patching with
what. Right now I have softpad r10397 checked out. I see a 'partial.cpp'
posted on this thread that I think is what you're referring to, but
can't figure out what to do with it.

I'm also trying to find this "channel-selected" patch you mention -- is
that "prechannel"? (Typo?) If so, where do I set the per-channel numbers?

Both partial padding and per-channel scheduling sound very cool, so I'm
keen to try them out.

Max.