[mythtv] Channel sorting problems...

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Jul 7 00:04:42 UTC 2006

Robin Gilks wrote:
>> On 07/06/2006 06:57 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:
>>
>>> Much improved on [10406] but I still have an issue!
>>>
>>> On the guide, I'm missing channels that have duplicate names on two
>>> sources.
>>>
>>> I have 6 terrestrial channels (standard VHF/UHF PAL) which also appear
>>> on
>>> my sat box. They are configured with the same name but unique channel
>>> numbers (the terrestrial ones are prefixed by '99'). The sat channel
>>> numbers that correspond to the terrestrial channels are missing. I've
>>> yet
>>> to check if I can still select them or browse them in LiveTV mode (vnc
>>> fails in LiveTV mode!!). Do I now require unique channel names?
>>>

>> Do they also have duplicate callsigns?  If so, you're getting the
>> desired behavior.  You've told Myth they're the same channel, so it
>> doesn't show both and it can record--even a channel record--from
>> either.  If you want to see both, you need to specify different
>> callsigns, but if you do any channel record rules, it will only use the
>> channel from the source specified.
>>

> Must be a learning day for me - thats 3 useful things before lunch :-)
>
> I've changed the callsign on the terrestrial stations and so I now have
> manual scheduling choice (because all channels are back in the guide) -
> this suits me since the sat box is much better quality than the signal off
> the aerial so thats what I use 99% of the time. Unless its heavy rain and
> I get no sat signal (or they point the sat the wrong way as happened for a
> while a couple of months ago).

You can achieve this also by leaving the callsigns alone for easier
scheduling and giving your sat box a higher input priority in
mythtv-setup so it gets used first.  That way, the sat box gets used
first but you don't miss other showings or conflict resolution because
you didn't schedule it on both channels.

Kevin