[mythtv] A couple of questions about mythtv 0.19

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 11 17:53:16 UTC 2006

On 07/11/06 13:11, Hamish wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 July 2006 15:13, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Ah no... I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I run
>>>mythtv on the same monitor as that I'm working on. I'd like to resize
>>>on the fly. e.g. as the program is being shown, switch full-screen &
>>>windowed etc.
>>>
>>Right.  I didn't understand the question.  The answer to the question
>>should be, "No," then.  Myth doesn't support resizing by dragging like a
>>desktop application.
>>
>'Like a desktop application'? Does that mean the mythfrontend isn't considered
>to be a desktop application?

No.  I just meant it to mean that typical desktop applications allow you
to do this.  I wasn't trying to imply anything about mythfrontend's
suitability for use on a desktop.

> Now I'm really confused... Do you mean that you
>only consider mythtv should be used in the manner of an appliance? WIth
>always full screen, no keyboard, remote control style? (That would be why I
>get so frustrated with it then, if it's designed not to work on the desktop).

It's not that it's designed not to work on the desktop.  It's that it's
designed to work on something that's not a desktop.  You can still use
keyboards.  You can still run in a window.  However, the existing code
is designed to work well in an appliance mode and--since most developers
use it that way--not much effort has been made to make it work the way
you want it to work.

>BTW... I found why the stop/start was happening... In a word DRI. WHy? I have
>no idea, unless you can think of a reason why DRI (XOrg r300 drivers from
>CVS/git on a saphire radeon X550) would cause the pausing.

 From a "hindsight is 20/20" perspective, there were several posts on
the -users list (where this whole thread should have been ;) about
problems with ATI drivers and DRI.

Mike