[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r10570 by bjm

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jul 18 00:33:14 UTC 2006

John P Poet wrote:
> I know this ticket is not assigned to you, but if you have time...
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1879

The programids are unique identifiers managed by TMS and I don't
like the idea of mucking with them after the fact. These are stored
in a field of the program table as are the partnumber and parttotal.
If you want to look at the partnumber then look at the part number.
There is no reason to mash this into another field of the same table.

If you feel you are going to need to identify the same programid as
different episodes by partnumbers, than add code to do so without
slowing things too much. when checking if two showings are the same,
if the programid matches, look to see if the partnumbers match. This
would mean adding the partnumbers to oldrecorded. However, I believe
that this is one of those things that sounds like a good idea in the
abstract but isn't really useful in practice.

You referred to an example in an earlier thread as a mini-series but
the programid in the example was a "MV%" movie. If an actual mini-
series had unique info, it would have different programids. IOW, I've
yet see a mini-series with generic descriptions but unique partnumbers.
It may have happened. I haven't seen it.

mysql> select programid,showtype,partnumber from program where showtype="Miniseries" and partnumber > 0 order by programid;
+--------------+------------+------------+
| programid    | showtype   | partnumber |
+--------------+------------+------------+
| EP0369350001 | Miniseries |          1 |
| EP0369350002 | Miniseries |          2 |
| EP0369350003 | Miniseries |          3 |
| EP5386030004 | Miniseries |          2 |
| EP5386030004 | Miniseries |          2 |
| EP5386030005 | Miniseries |          3 |
| EP5386030005 | Miniseries |          3 |
| EP5386030006 | Miniseries |          1 |
| EP5386030006 | Miniseries |          1 |
| EP8128690001 | Miniseries |          1 |
| EP8128690002 | Miniseries |          2 |
+--------------+------------+------------+

I currently have one Special and three movies with more than one part:

mysql> select programid,showtype,partnumber from program where programid like "SH%" and partnumber > 1 order by programid;
+--------------+----------+------------+
| programid    | showtype | partnumber |
+--------------+----------+------------+
| SH1367680000 | Special  |          2 |
+--------------+----------+------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select programid,showtype,partnumber from program where programid like "MV%" and partnumber > 1 order by programid;
+--------------+----------+------------+
| programid    | showtype | partnumber |
+--------------+----------+------------+
| MV1464360000 |          |          2 |
| MV1464360000 |          |          2 |
| MV1587570000 |          |          2 |
+--------------+----------+------------+
3 rows in set (0.05 sec)

Here's the problem. If I record a movie (or a Special), I'm going
to use Single or FindOne. If I Single record and it is shown in two
parts, I'm only going to get the first part that I Single record no
matter how it's marked. This suggests that maybe movies should be
set with an All or Channel rule just in case it is shown in more than
one part. However, this means that you need to remove the rule manually
afterward. If I'm thinking of the possibility of there being multiple
parts, I'd rather look to see if that's the case and would still rather
Single record both parts instead of setting a recurring rule that I have
to remove later.

So while this sounds like something that ought to be done, in several
years of using DVRs there has never been a situation where identifying
matched programids by part number would have ever helped me.

--  bjm