[mythtv] Calling all (video) iPod users...

Tim Dodge tndodge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 21:44:38 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I now have a new iPod that can actually play video, so I'm
> curious about getting some real h.264 encoding set up (or just improving
> the current mpeg4 stuff so that seeking works properly).  I've googled
> and encoded and googled some more, but have had NO luck in getting a
> file that plays properly.
>
> On top of that, I've had a friend capture the output from Handbrake in
> osx (it calls ffmpeg on the commandline), and run the exact same code
> through ffmpeg in linux, and was not able to play the resulting file.
>
> So, someone out there must be having SOME success, since I find it
> unlikely that I'm the only person out there who owns an ipod and doesn't
> run windows or osx.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know and
> I'll make sure the goodness gets put into nuvexport so it will benefit
> everyone.

I haven't looked at this for a few months, but the only way I could
get H.264 encoded video that would play on my ipod was to use the x264
commandline tool with the following options:

x264 --bitrate 600 --no-cabac --analyse p8x8,b8x8 --vbv-bufsize 2000
--vbv-maxrate 768 --me umh --progress --no-psnr --level 1.3 --fps $fps
--stats filename.stats --pass 1 -o filename.mp4 filename.fifo 320x240

Using mencoder to resize, deinterlace and frameserve the original video.

Using the same options in mencoder or ffmpeg never worked correctly -
looking at the resultant mp4 file with MP4Box always showed an odd fps
and the ipod would refuse to play it.

Tim