[mythtv] EITScanner caused playback issues

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Jul 19 18:57:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:42 -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
> Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday 18 July 2006 23:14, Jan Kleinig wrote:
> >> I have some problems with the EIT-Scanner at the moment, depending
> >> stumbling tv- or recording-playback when the EIT-scanner inserts his
> >> data into the database. Would it help me building mythtv-eit-branch?
> >
> > Currently not. there are no changes in the eit branch.
> >
> > Can you give us specifications of your backend/frontend computer.
> >
> > We should maybe decrease the Chunksize and increase the minimal
> > reschedule time for the realease.
>
> I submitted a patch for ticket #1660 that creates an asynchronus
> database insertion thread. I used it to solve a similar problem with
> database inserts hosing recording from ivtv. If you're just inserting
> stuff for use later, it should solve your problem too.

There is an asynchronous DB insertion thread for EIT data,
and buffering which takes care of the DB inserts in the DVB
recorder (buffering is needed for ivtv too, since DB inserts
aren't the only thing that can hose an ivtv recording).

The problem is probably with the rescheduling of recordings
which can eat up a lot of resources; there is no way to avoid
the reschedule hit, it can only be made less frequent and risk
not recording a program you want to watch.

How often does the system stumble when EIT is running?

-- Daniel