[mythtv] EITScanner caused playback issues

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Jul 19 20:52:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 22:32 +0200, Jochen Kühner wrote:
> why is there so much db data needed for a livetv recording???
It is not just for LiveTV, and it is not for all LiveTV recordings.
This is only needed for containers that don't have seek tables.
This includes any PS or TS MPEG recording. I don't believe you
need this for the NUV container, whether the codec you use is
nuppelvideo or MPEG-2/MPEG-4.

The reason you need seek tables is so that you can skip or fast
forward (>3x) in the recording. While the recording is active
you ask the backend for this data, but one it is complete you
get it from the DB. Before the recorder can exit it must have
written the entire seek table to the DB. In order to not have
a huge DB load at the end of the recording we write the recently
detected keyframes to the DB every few keyframes. The write is
blocking, and hence our problem when we can't get access to the DB.

-- Daniel