[mythtv] MythTV Digicipher II support

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Mon Jul 24 17:16:00 UTC 2006

Mark Buechler wrote:

> Here in NA there are quite a few free DCII feeds available. I've been
> doing some research on whether it's possible to receive these feeds
> via a PCI card similar to a DVB card. So far I've found one which is
> capable of decoding DCII signals but doesn't yet have driver support.
> I've also been researching the software side and from what I can find
> the DCII format is very similar to the DVB standard with the exception
> of a few additional tables which need parsing.
>
> Has anyone ever done any work on DCII systems or know of any standards
> documents concerning this standard? The DVB card which is capable of
> decoding DCII is the Genpix 8psk module. Does anyone know of anymore
> hardware decoders supporting DCII? FTA in NA is spotty at best. It
> seems there are more DCII FTA feeds available than DVB feeds. For NA
> users, DCII support would a great addition.

The cx24123-based frontends are capable of DCII. Changes that would be
required to get it to function:

* A way to select DCII mode from the DVB API.
* Changes of the values of one or two cx24123 registers based on this
setting.
* The FEC code rate table is different for DCII mode, so that would need
to be driven on a different table depending on the mode.

Not a big deal really. I assume any other cards that support DCII would
require similar driver changes. The API change might be contentious,
especially since the multistandard DVB API effort would provide a much
nicer framework to make this work with, but it's currently in "political
limbo".

/y