[mythtv] 'Test Harness' for MythTV recording devices

Andrew Kimpton awk at awkward.org
Wed Jun 7 04:05:57 UTC 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 11:27 PM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

>> Is mythtv 'current' at all for Mac OS X ?
>
> 	Hmmm. Philosophically? Or Practically?
>

> 	Philos: I don't know anyone right now who is
> trying to use the backend functions (except you)

Well - the firewire recorder stuff seems to work (in my brief
testing) - I have access to a STB with Firewire but it's not 'mine'
and sits in a different room in the house where I'm staying right now
so testing with it for comparative purposes is impractical.

Of course that doesn't mean that any one is actually trying to use it
8-)
> 	Prak: I try and build the source roughly
> every week. UPnP checkin has now broken much.
> Easy to work around for a frontend-only build,
> but it will take me a while to get backend
> compiling again

Oohhh.... I guess I'll stay away from doing any updates for a while
(not that I was about to change things underneath myself given how
much 'stuff' I'm working with right now 8-)

> 	I often have prebuffering and ringbuf warnings
> when using a Mac frontend. Usually performance type
> things (e.g. if I stop a build in the background,
> all is well, which makes me think it is swapping
> and EtherNet driver timeout related).

Some serious time with Shark and other profiling tools will probably
be helpful once I get this going.

The funny thing is - I'm currently moving and my other machines are
packed up (and two thousand miles away) and that was the whole
impetus for trying to get a 'single box' Mac solution to work at all.
Ironically my move is nearly completed and in about 2-3 weeks I
should have access to a collection of non-Mac machines which I could
reasonably use to run a 'less odd' backend.

Andrew 8-)