[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Kenneth Padgett kenneth.padgett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 04:27:24 UTC 2006

Here's how I've always envisioned an easy to use, consolidated
settings interface:

+----------------------------------------+  ::
| Appearance                          \/ |  ::
+----------------------------------------+  ::
                                            ::
 [[ Show some option: ( Value here ) ]]     ::
                                            ::
    Option number 2: ( Dropdown/Toggle )    ::
                                            ::
    Option 3: ( Textbox / Etc )             ::
                                            ::
+----------------------------------------+  ::
+----------------------------------------+  ::
| 3rd Category of options             -> |  ::
+----------------------------------------+  \/

| The "Show some option" controls the display  |
| of yada yada yada... Inform users what the   |
| setting does down here, changes on highlight |

It would be navigated with Up/Down, and the highlight would change
(shown with "[[" and "]]" here).

If you "Enter" (Select/OK on my remote?) it would either let you
change the value toggle, or open the dropdown, or confirm the text
changes. The text boxes could enter focus as soon as it's line was
highlighted, or you could select to indicate you want to change.
Whatever was most consistent.

The category headers would scroll along with all the options, like one
large tree and could have an arrow image ("\/" and "->" here) to
indicate if they where expanded or not, and maybe expanding one would
close the others.

The main scroll bar on the right would indicate your location without
the scrolling settings screen.

The bottom information box would have the descriptions of the items,
much light the current "Wizard" style config screens.

Once a value was changed, it would save to DB, or it could save on
exit. Nothing complicated to save changes or anything.

(Attached is a fixed font screenshot if the above text doesn't show up
aligned in your preferred mail client.)

Just my 2 cents...

-Kenneth