[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Matthew Wire devel at mrwire.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 15:34:36 UTC 2006

Personally I think it would be a good idea to separate out all the
initial configuration settings (eg CD drive, media storage locations,
audio output device, timeouts etc).  This can then be hidden by the
theme, just leaving settings which users may want to configure.
The way I see it, MythTV is designed to be used as an appliance and, as
such, settings relating to the hardware should not be accessible easily
(ie put them in an advanced setup hideable by the theme).

Another thing that I'd really like to see is adding the ability to
specify which settings are visible without recompiling the relevant
library.  This would make it a lot easier to customise what
configuration options are shown.

Either way, I think it's important that it is relatively simple to
hide/show settings at an "oem" stage.

Thanks,
Matthew Wire