[mythtv] Race condition seen in mythwelcome

Russell Mora rd.mora at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 14:28:32 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am seeing a race condition in the startup of mythwelcome (HEAD) that is
causing it to hang in the call to setActiveWindow() in
MythMainWindow::Show().  If I change various things, like:
 * verbosity (sometimes)
 * window manager (I am using evilwm on a PVR-350 TV-out)
 * running mythwelcome under a xterm, i.e. "xterm -e mythwelcome"
(sometimes)
 * adding a sleep(1) before to call to mainWindow->Init() in
programs/mythwelcome/main.cpp
 * removing the call to mainWindow->Init() from
programs/mythwelcome/main.cpp (I did this after noticing that mythfrontend
does not make this call)

then the problem (sometimes) goes away.  Before I spend a lot of time trying
to figure out why this is occuring I though I'd see if anyone with more
experience with myth than me (this is my first go at hacking it) might be
able to offer some insight. :-)  In particular, is the explicit call to
mainWindow->Init() really required, given that the MythMainWindow
constructor calls this anyway? Can someone with another setup try it and see
if it causes any problems for them?

Cheers,
Russell.