[mythtv] MPEG2-MPEG2 transcoding: Illegal video stream

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Wed Mar 1 21:31:08 UTC 2006

HI!

I edited 5 recordings (ivtv, PVR-x50) ) and let them transcode from
MPEG2 to MPEG2.

The resulting files all play OK in MythTV, but other programs report
illegal video streams for 2 out of 5.

The original (uncut) files are all OK.

When I try to demultiplex/multiplex them (I want to convert the audio
stream from mp2 to ac3), no multiplexer recognizes the video stream.

I tried demultiplexing with mpeg2desc and with tcdemux.

I tried multiplexing with mplex and tcmplex.

It's always the same: The video stream is somehow illegal according to
mplex and tcmplex.

TMPGEnc DVD Author (Windows Software) also reports illegal video stream.

When I load the corrupt 2 files into avidemux and just save them again,
they are fixed.

Is this a known problem? What can I provide to hunt down the cause?
Should I open a ticket?

Using Myth 0.19.

Thanks!

Thomas