[mythtv] MPEG2-MPEG2 transcoding: Illegal video stream

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Wed Mar 1 22:19:19 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> The resulting files all play OK in MythTV, but other programs report
> illegal video streams for 2 out of 5.
Can you play them with mplayer?
In general, you need to cut the 1st 10MB or so off the front of the
stream, ensure that that smaller file is still broken, then send it to
me.

> When I try to demultiplex/multiplex them (I want to convert the audio
> stream from mp2 to ac3), no multiplexer recognizes the video stream.
This won't work with any tool I'm aware of (at least not reliably).
The problem is that once you demux them, you lose the timestamp info,
so there is no way to remux them and keep a/v sync when done.  This is
especially true if there are any issues with the input stream, or if
you use the commercial-cut capability.  There is some code in
mpeg2parse to create streams that can be demuxed cleanly, but it is a
nasty problem, and I never got it working reliably.

.Geoff