[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

mythtv at zacglen.com.au mythtv at zacglen.com.au
Fri Mar 3 09:32:56 UTC 2006

>> I have just completed my web-based equivalent of MythTV.
>
>I've just completed my soap-box derby equivalent of a Lamborghini.

I never claimed to be creating a Lamborghini.
And I don't think MythTV developers have made such a claim either.
They definitely haven't made one.

>> The only things missing at this stage are all the extras (which
>> I can hardly see myself using since I have a computer) like phone,
>> browser, etc.
>
>The only things missing at this stage are all the extras (which I
>can hardly see myself using since I ride the bus) like an engine,
>comfortable seats, etc..

They are not extras, you fool.

>> It is interesting to make a comparison.
>> MythTV has about 112,792 lines of code.
>> My implementation has about 1731 lines of Perl.
>
>It is interesting to make a comparison.
>A Lamborghini has a few thousand bolts and weighs over a ton.

Really? Mine doesn't.

>My soap-box derby car has a few dozen nails and weighs in just under
>120 pounds.

Are you alluding to the current MythTV?

>> Additionally, my implementation has the following features:
>>

>> 	- the only interface is via browser (which I didn't have to write)
>> 	- there is no database, only plain text files
>> 	- there is no XML
>> 	- it is fast
>> 	- it is highly configurable with all configuration in plain files
>> 	- the recording format can be whatever anyone chooses
>
>Additionally my implemtation has the following features:
>
>    - It's cheap (cause I don't have any money)

Must be because of your attitide.

>    - It's easy to drive (cause I have no clue what that pole sticking
>      out of the floor with the numbers and the letter 'R' in an H
>      pattern is for).

You should get an education!

>    - It is fast (going down big hills that are straigth and don't have
>      any bumps)

Pity it doesn't go uphill like mine.

>    - I get to wear a cool helmet while I drive.
>    - It's a convertible (this is why I want the helmet)
>    - Tires are cheaper since I have a few old lawnmowers rusting out
>	  in the back yard.
So you aren't much good at keeping lawnmowers in working order?

>    - The stearing wheel is also made from an old tire, so it doubles
>      as a spare and a steering wheel.
>    - It doesn't use any gas at all.
>    - I don't have to worry about getting the doors dinged when I take
>      it to the playground with me.
>
>> Some of the implementation details which have helped keep it simple are:
>>

>> 	- Hardware contention is only resolved at record time.
>> 	  I use a simple lockfile containing pid and priority.
>> 	  When a conflict occurs a lower priority job can preempt running job.
>> 	  Or a higher priority job will lock out a lower priority job, but
>> 	  it will still possibly run for a reduced duration.
>> 	  At scheduling time there is absolutely no possibility of conflict.
>>

>> 	- Instead of XML the program guide information is in simple
>> 	  column-delimited format, with first line being the column definitions.
>> 	  Times are in UTC. That is all that is needed.
>>

>> 	- All configuration data is simple "name = value" expressions.
>> 	  But to allow 1:n relationships I simply look for plural names.
>> 	  So that "guides = fta-%Y%m%d other-%Y%m%d", for example,
>> 	  generates a Perl array.
>> 	  Wont work for foreign languages but I reckon it would have
>> 	  been simpler for the whole world to convert to English rather
>> 	  that have every programmer die in agony anyhow.
>
>Some of the implementation details which have helped keep it simple are:
>
>    - I got the wood from an old crate I found on the side of the road
>      the other day.

Oh, so then re-using existing software is a bad thing?

>    - My side-business repairing lawnmowers has left me with a huge number
>      of spare wheels so I never have to spend any money.

You side-business isn't very successful. Else you wouldn't have so
many broken ones lying around!

>    - Use of nails instead of bolts helped save me time because I didn't
>      have to turn any nuts with a wrench, I just hit the suckers with
>      a hammer and they went right in.

Nails are often provide vasty superior adhesion than screws.
Ask any builder.
BTW where do you think the "screw loose" saying came from?

>    - I didn't have to spend any money an an alarm system because nobody
>      in their right mind would steal my ride.

Great analogy!

>> I intend to add a few more features, mainly with respect to the automated
>> recording selection plus some alternate tv guide sources.
>
>I intend to add a few more features, mainly with respect to the overall
>safety and roadworthiness of the vehicle.  I think that if I cut a big
>enough hole in the floorboard, I can put my feet out through the hold
>to both provide additional braking while trying to stop and useful
>acceleration while going downhill.  I am going to add spinners to my
>wheels made out of some old lawnmower blades trimmed down and sharpened
>up.
>
>> KISS to all you MythTV developers.
>
>KISS to all you losers who fly by me on the interstate.

You wit is only exceeded by your irrelevance.