[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

cardboil cardboil at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:36:32 UTC 2006

On 3/3/06, mythtv at zacglen.com.au <mythtv at zacglen.com.au> wrote:

> >No idea what the point of starting this thread was but at least reading
> >Chris Pinkham's reply did crack me up :)
> >

> The point is that MythTV is bloated bug-ridden software which
> mostly just duplicates the functionality of a browser.
>
> Do the math - 112,792 lines vs a probable 3000 lines of Perl.

Obviously, mythtv at zacglen is a pain in the ass.

I am little curious about some points he raised (however idiotic his choice
of words may have been).  Theoretically speaking, if one were to start with
a clean slate, do some of this guy's suggestions make sense?  What I was
able to gather from this and the other thread (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/185962) are:

(Note: I am not making any judgements on technology choices and I am not
even qualified to do so; I'm just asking for the sake of my own learning.)

1. Use a browser as the UI framework instead of QT
2. Use files instead of database for settings and guide/recording data
3. He says something about "the recording format can be whatever anyone
chooses" -- not sure what he means

And, of course, he seems to prefer Perl but that's a religious war I don't
care about.

I'd be curious to hear what the devs think about this, just as an
intellectual exercise.