[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

Lasse Nisted zartzartzart+mythtv-dev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:51:10 UTC 2006

You bring up some valid questions. I would like to hear others opinions
also.

On 3/3/06, cardboil <cardboil at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/3/06, mythtv at zacglen.com.au <mythtv at zacglen.com.au> wrote:
>
> > >No idea what the point of starting this thread was but at least reading
> > >Chris Pinkham's reply did crack me up :)
> > >

> > The point is that MythTV is bloated bug-ridden software which
> > mostly just duplicates the functionality of a browser.
> >
> > Do the math - 112,792 lines vs a probable 3000 lines of Perl.
> >

> Obviously, mythtv at zacglen is a pain in the ass.
>
> I am little curious about some points he raised (however idiotic his
> choice of words may have been).  Theoretically speaking, if one were to
> start with a clean slate, do some of this guy's suggestions make sense?
> What I was able to gather from this and the other thread (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/185962) are:
>
> (Note: I am not making any judgements on technology choices and I am not
> even qualified to do so; I'm just asking for the sake of my own learning.)
>
> 1. Use a browser as the UI framework instead of QT

Would save a lot of time for a simple solution. But what about fading menus,
simple navigation with remote control, _very_ flexible layout.
And _very_ flexible data reading - in lists like those in mythvideo not all
data has to be loaded at once. First when the user scrolls it's loaded.
I know all of this (i think) could be done in a browser. But that would
require either
extensive use of javascripting, flash or something like that.

So what would the benefits be in the end?

2. Use files instead of database for settings and guide/recording data

This  I think is a stupid idea. Databases are for holding large amount of
data,
and allowing easy access to those. I don't see any reason why not to use
them.
Normal formatted files would require implementing a lot of extra routines
for accessing
data the right way. Which is just what the database does for you...

3. He says something about "the recording format can be whatever anyone
> chooses" -- not sure what he means

Dunno either.

- Lasse