[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

mythtv at zacglen.com.au mythtv at zacglen.com.au
Fri Mar 3 11:13:36 UTC 2006

>Would save a lot of time for a simple solution. But what about fading menus
>,
>simple navigation with remote control, _very_ flexible layout.

Simple navigation is possible with a browser. You just have to get
the tabbing order right.

>And _very_ flexible data reading - in lists like those in mythvideo not all
>dataof  has to be loaded at once. First when the user scrolls it's loaded.

To load the program guide (current time, and 24 hours plus and minus)
only takes a second.  Mainly because there is no XML.
Add XML and you are talking slower times because you have to bear with
XML telling you that "23" is an "integer" or something ridiculous.

>I know all of this (i think) could be done in a browser. But that would
>require either
>extensive use of javascripting, flash or something like that.

There is sone Javascript in my implementation.
Mainly to update main window when program detail popup schedules
something, and to popup certain windows when required.

>So what would the benefits be in the end?

Simplicity?

>2. Use files instead of database for settings and guide/recording data
>>

>This  I think is a stupid idea. Databases are for holding large amount of
>data,
>and allowing easy access to those. I don't see any reason why not to use
>them.
>Normal formatted files would require implementing a lot of extra routines
>for accessing
>data the right way. Which is just what the database does for you...

You can easily tie Perl hashes (used extensively in my implementation)
to a database - without changing anything whatsoever (nearly).
But I have found it unnecessary.

My data structure:

	pvr.conf	- main config, points to hardware.conf's, has paths etc
	fta.conf	- hardware config
	austar.conf	- hardware config
	                  eg. "record=cmd"
			      "otherthings=whatever"
	channel/*	- channel details
			  eg "hardwares=fta.3 austar.325"  - ties 'em together
			     "priority=5"
	queue/*		- scheduled recordings

In most cases the primary key which links everything together
is channel+utctimestamp.  And if there are multiple hardware sources
for the same program then they will all get recorded/scheduled
but soemthing miught possible get preempted of course.

>3. He says something about "the recording format can be whatever anyone
>> chooses" -- not sure what he means
>>

>Dunno either.

If I want MJPEG in avi then that is what I get.
If I want something in NippleVideo then that is also what I get.
Because the recording program is specified in hardware config.
It is always an external program. It is always totally independent
of the PVR.