[mythtv] DVD Autoclipping

Matt Cheely mcheely at glue.umd.edu
Fri Mar 3 15:00:57 UTC 2006

I've been working on some code to do automatic cropping in dvds for
mythdvd using transcode's autoclip filter. I'm doing this for a couple
of reasons. 1) Letterbox detection seems brokeish 2) I've seen some dvds
of films that have wierd aspect ratios where letterbox detection would
likely leave empty space somewhere (mostly older/foriegn films).
The first thing I wanted to ask is: Is this something anybody other than
me is going to be interested in using?

Secondly, it occured to me while working through the code that since we
know the dvd resolution and aspect ratio, we can compute resize/PAR
(pixel aspect ratio) paramters in mythdvd/mtd, so why have a separate
set of transcoding profiles for each dvd type? Why not just have
profiles that get applied uniformly across dvd types where the user just
chooses to stretch or shrink to get the proper aspect ratio? It seems
like that would simplify things a bit, and allow transcode profile
configuration to be opened up to the user in a not-too-confusing fashion.