[mythtv] Introduction LONG (was Re: Interesting Comparison)

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:42:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 13:04 -0500, Mike wrote:
> I had had an idea similar to yours in which at one point I wanted to
> set up a mythtv backend to decode to cable to feed channels to dumb
> tvs as opposed to mythtv front ends. I gave up on it because I am not
> much of a channel flipper myself and I went and put together a nice
> front end system.

Believe it or not, that was my original idea.  I am self-employed and
one of my customers is in the cable industry.  You might not realize how
much of the head-end equipment in cable is linux-based.  A lot of the
systems cable companies use are basically custom-built PCs with special
hardware cards and more and more of these devices run Linux.

Thanks for the pointers to the plugins.

-Aaron