[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

Mark Buechler mark.buechler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:38:31 UTC 2006

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm very impressed with this guy.
Shouldn't we all be? After all, he's managed to do what no Myth/VDR
developer has managed - and that's just covering a couple apps on
Linux/Unix/MacOS. Is your Perl script written to be portable? If so, you
would show up all those Windows developers coming up with thousands of lines
of C/C++ code in their PVR apps. I never imagined a PVR could be so simple!

Have you considered selling your code to Tivo, Dish Network or DirecTV? I'm
sure they would be able to take advantage of your superior techniques as
well!

May I make a suggestion? If you have problems with Myth's bloat and you've
written your own PVR software, which suites all your needs, then please keep
it to yourself - unless you wish to release your code for all the rest of us
to use. This list is for MythTV development, NOT the development of your
perl PVR script.

Myth is put together buy a few people who want a quality PVR and are nice
enough to release it for the rest of us to use. They're even nice enough to
fix other peoples' problems which may or may not effect them. You aren't in
anyway paying for Myth when you download it. There is no warrenty. Don't
look a gift horse in the mouth - stop complaining.

- Mark.