[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

mythtv at zacglen.com.au mythtv at zacglen.com.au
Sat Mar 4 04:02:10 UTC 2006

>However, to claim you've written a replacement for MythTV, and you
>have to answer a few more questions...
>
>- how do you commerical flag? (trust me, one of the NUMBER one
>appreciated features of myth, esp in the WAF)

I am working on that now.
It will do auto detection of commercials.  But you might have to train
it by identifying (most) new commercials. So you get to see new
commercials once.

Of course in Australia some of this is easier because there
is (encrypted) program stack information in the VITS on some channels.
Each commercial is clearly identified.

Post processing can remove all of the commercials of course.

>- how do you handle remote control input (again, see WAF)

lirc

>- have a nice OSD during playback showing useful things like time
>left, length of program etc?

yes

>- how do you integrate with existing guide data? zap2it, XMLTV etc? (see WAF)

Script to de-XLMify XMLTV. We don't have zap2it etc in Australia.
Plus I am using other independent sources (web page scraping).

>I could go on and on (as could the developers) but you see what I mean....
>
>What nobody else has said yet, is also thus:
>
>Bad Form. If things in MythTV really bugged you that much, why not get
>involved helping to solve the problem? Get involved with the
>developers. Offer suggestions, make yourself useful.

Not feasible because certain decisions have already been made.
And they aren't the way I would want.

>Tear through the
>code, take an open ticket and find the problem, submit your fix. The
>way you went about is just immature and in bad form. But I'm sure you
>already knew that.

Only because you told me.