[mythtv] 8902 HD transcode => MPEG4 --> a/v out of sync

Jesse Crews jcrews at gridlox.net
Sat Mar 4 18:06:33 UTC 2006

I'm renewing this thread because I've found the cause of this issue.
The A/V sync mismatch always happens when the original video has 6
channels. I originally thought it was the station, but that was only a
coincidence, as it happens to be the only one that I record 6 channel
audio from. The offset that I have to put into the adjust a/v sync
option is -300ms to get it back to where it looks correct. I use 6
channel pass through, so the original plays with the correct sync.

Ok, please bear with me. :)

Where's the AC3 -> 2ch -> WAV happening? There seems to be a fault
there, causing timing (aPTS?) values to be 300ms off. I have tested
several recordings, and the same setting brings the a/v back in sync.

I don't know anything about AC3, but mplayer always says that it's a 2
channel 48KHz  stream as far as the hardware is concerned. Could this
be somehow confusing the transcoder?

I've looked at avformatdecoder.cpp, and NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp. I
could not find any direct references to AC3/ac3 in NVR.

Would a direct stream copy option be difficult to implement, so
transcoded files have ac3 audio?

Regards,
Jesse