[mythtv] Introduction LONG (was Re: Interesting Comparison)

Anthony Benjamin anthony.rants at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 09:26:55 UTC 2006

First off, sorry that this reply is probably not going to thread correctly,
but I usually read the lists out of the archives, and decided to join, in
part, so I could reply to this thread.

I think that the 'custom channel' idea is very, very good. I find that I
share much of the same viewing habits as the OP, and I would love if a
channel that was in the EPG was just randomly selected videos out of my
collection. I started looking at the MythTV codebase to see how something
like this could be done. I think what you would want to do is create a new
recording source and establish channels on that new recording source. The
channels themselves could have definitions like, all mythvideos that fit
into *simpsons*. This would allow for very fine grained control over what
was shown on the channel. Then maybe modify mythfilldatabase so that when
the EPG is populated with your regular broadcast information, movies fitting
the guidelines for the channels you established were also populated...
looking at the codebase, I quickly became lost on where I would have to add
some of this functionality.

I'd appreciate hearing more thoughts on how we could accomplish this
feature... or towards where in the code I should look. Thanks :-)