[mythtv] Introduction LONG (was Re: Interesting Comparison)

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 18:33:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 13:12 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this completely ignores the original use
> case, which stated that the OP wants to be able to use this to allow
> TV's without frontends to receive content.  All these "detect when the
> user requests a channel" solutions imply a computer that can send a
> request for a "channel"--in other words, a frontend.

My original idea was to utilize equipment that would actually put mpeg
streams onto coax at various channel frequencies so a standard TV could
just tune to those channels...but I decided against this after I figured
I'd need to secure drivers from manufacturers of equipment capable of
doing this, or write my own.

So now my thinking is just to use Myth, have a backend and a separate
frontend that can take content from recorded TV shows, ripped DVDs, home
movies and such, and mimic a TV channel lineup of X number of channels
running basically randomly from my content 24/7/365.

-Aaron