[mythtv] Storage Groups functionality

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Mar 8 19:43:34 UTC 2006

* On Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:06:34AM -0500, David Asher wrote:
> > I have a patch that I wrote at least a year ago that allows you to view
> > the MythVideo files in the normal Watch Recordings screen.  It allows
> > you to play the files just like they were normal Myth recordings, but

> I've been thinking about looking at making something to place MythVideo
> videos into the database so that they can be played back from the Watch
> Recordings screen.  Also it would be nice to have it create a seek table
> for the videos when they get added.  I find when I use the Internal
> player for MythVideos I tend to get poor seeking.
>
> Any chance you could post your patch?

I'm not sure if the patch is what you are looking for.  All it does is
display MythVideo files on the Watch Recordings screen.  The playback of
these MythVideo files is still handled by whatever player you had setup
in MythVideo for those files (internal, xine, mplayer, etc..).

One thing on my long-term todo list is to add the ability for myth to fire
off a job to rebuild the seektable if you play a recording that does not
have one, so this would be useful for both MythTV files and MythVideo files.
This is just an idea I have tossed around though, I haven't coded anything
and don't foresee it in the near future.

I rarely even use MythVideo now so I haven't been keeping the patch up to
date so it may not apply cleanly to current SVN, but it is attached if
you want to give it a shot.

There are 2 files.  The first (p1) is a patch against MythTV that adds
the ability to display the MythVideo files inside Watch Recordings.  The
second (p2) is a patch against MythVideo to add settings to enable
and control this feature as well as setting up MythVideo as a media handler
so Watch Recordings can tell MythVideo to play the file.

> Is there any reason (other than historical) that MythVideo and Watch
> Recordings are separate?  The other thing that would benefit from
> merging the two would be the ability to stream the MythVideos instead of
> having to NFS mount the directory.  I suppose the xine/mplayer support
> wouldn't work too well with streaming.  Hmmm...  As the internal player
> gets better and better, however, there are fewer reasons to use external
> players.

There are probably a few reasons that this hasn't been done yet.  Two main
ones are probably the work that was being done on the mfd and mfe programs
and some work that Donavan was doing in MythVideo.

--
Chris