[mythtv] Trying to build frontend on intel MacOS

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 22:14:25 UTC 2006

I'm attempting to build a 'Universal Binary' version of the myth
frontend, to use on my new Mac Mini (core duo).  I'm using the
osx-packager.pl, from the contrib directory of the latest SVN.

After adjusting the mythtv configure options, and fixing a couple
small issues, it finally compiles.  But, running the application
results in an error from a missing library function:

   dyld: Symbol not found: __ZTV24CaptionServiceDescriptor
     Referenced from:
/Users/tji/Build/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/./../Frameworks/mythtv.framework/mythtv
     Expected in: flat namespace
   Trace/BPT trap

The CaptionServiceDescriptor class is defined in
mpegdescriptors.{h,cpp}, in libs/libmythtv/mpeg,  and for some reason
doesn't appear to be getting built.   So, I've been digging through
that stuff, to try and determine what are the dependancies for
building that portion.     I see in the file "libmythtv.pro", that
mpegdescriptors.cpp is referenced only in the "using_backend" section,
not the frontend section.  But, I doubt that is the issue, at least
not solely, because the frontend works fine on other platforms.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for getting past this?

Is anyone else here trying to use Mac x86?    I put up a quick Wiki
page, hoping that others working on this will provide info on any
advances they make:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Myth_on_Mac_x86