[mythtv] Mythmusic & Goom2k4

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Mar 15 12:30:03 UTC 2006

>IMHO what needs to be done is to extend the sound buffering in good a
>little bit so that there is more time for analyzing the upcoming sound
>change and the graphics can "get ready" for that. It might be only
>100-200 milliseconds but it would help to improve the experience
>tremendously, I believe.
>
>I once looked into goom but couldn't see any sound buffering there so I
>didn't know what to tune, to delay the sound a bit more to get the video
>chance to "catch up" :)

I looked into this a little and different plugins have slightly
different av offsets I think?  Goom is fractionally delayed on my setup,
and some of the other plugins are ahead

Basically the music output sends the data to the visualistion plugin as
a linked list of PCM sample data.  It is a bit crude and it just chucks
in the first BUFFER_SIZE samples each time it fires and then the
visualisation reader has a concept of current time when feeding the
visualisation and scans the list looking for data due "now" and feed the
visualisation.  So the visualisation never sees the whole PCM stream
(which may make some of the fancier ones miss some detail), and instead
of it being downsampled, we just give it the first X bytes in each
timeslice.

Secondly I think the AV sync problem probably comes from the
visualisation itself having a random internal delay which is not always
correct?  Goom seems to be pretty good, but the others may have
additional internal buffering which is not properly compensated for

So it should be easy to fix each plugin.

I am snowed under with other work (I'm still running CVS from around Feb
last year) so unfortunately barely have time to skim this list let alone
fix this

Good luck

Ed W