[mythtv] playback problems with a certain station

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 04:16:16 UTC 2006

--- Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Jack Perveiler <perveilerj at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Boston
> be
> > > worth
> selection
> > > >

> > <snip long portion of original post>
> >

> > > Jack,
> > >    I was running 9327-fixes and am now running 9369-fixes and haven't
> > > noticed this problem with WHDH-DT, though I'll look into it to see if
> > > I notice what your seeing. What tuner are you using?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steve
>
> oops, havent installed 9369, just compiled it =D but with 9327 I
> haven't noticed any sync issues. I'll need to install 9369 and see.
>

> > Thanks for the reply.  I'm using a HD-3000 with an OTA antenna, which for
> all
> > intents and purposes has been working really well for a long time now.  I
> only
> > get these wierd issues with WHDH HD (although to be fair I get the audio
> sync
> > problem on WBZ-DT once in a great while).
>
> same card as me, I'm using QAM through Comcast, so I wonder if comcast
> is doing something with the feed that fixes this. I haven't had the
> time to check on this yet though...
>
> > Do you use the animated preview in the program selector?  I wonder if:
>
> I do use the animated preview.
>

> > "[mpeg2video @ 0xb741b840]insufficient thread locking around
> > avcodec_open/close()"
> >
> > is causing the video codec (opened earlier for the preview, maybe?) not to
> > close, which is why I get:
> >
> > "2006-03-15 14:34:23.953 AFD: Warning, video codec 0x8c54ba0 id(MPEG2VIDEO)
> > type (Video) already open."
> >
> > a short time later.  Maybe not properly closing and re-opening the codec
> means
> > the decoder is in a wierd state and this causes the badness.  Maybe there's
> > just something with WHDH HD's stream that exaggerates a race somewhere.
> >
> > I'm going to try 1) not using any preview and 2) tracking down whomever
> > opens/closes codecs and trying some additional locking.  All after my
> wife/kid
> > go to bed, of course ;)
> >
> > --Jack
>
> I'll try and play with this later. the G/F is moving and watching tv
> as she packs so I can't now...
>
> --
> Steve

I disabled the live preview and the frontend black screen and hang went away
(used to happen about 3/4 of the time with Regis, hasn't happened in a dozen or
so trys after disabling the preview).  So it's looking like that's the culprit.
 I'll move on to tracking down the codec open/closing/locking next.

I haven't seen any av sync issues either, but I'm betting that's coincidental
(I also get them occasionally when changing channels to WHBH HD on LiveTV so
I'm betting it isn't related to the live preview, anyways).

--Jack