[mythtv] H.264 over MPEG-2 TS recording and playback

Jean-Francois Roy roy.jean-francois at crc.ca
Fri Mar 17 13:57:39 UTC 2006

Mark Buechler wrote:
> I can provide sample HD streams if needed.
That would be great. If hosting is a problem, I can arrange something.
Even though I'm certainly not working in the range of HDTV bitrates or
resolutions, the more sample streams I have, the better.

> - Mark.
>
> On 3/16/06, *Steven Adeff* <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> > wrote:
>
>     On 3/16/06, Daniel Kristjansson < danielk at cuymedia.net
>     <mailto:danielk at cuymedia.net>> wrote:
>     > On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:51 -0500, Jean-Francois Roy wrote:
>     >
>     > > To cut the long story short, digital radio standards pretty
>     much all use
>     > > H.264 as the main video codec, and MythTV has a little bit of
>     trouble
>     >
>     > > I was wondering if anyone had started working on patches or if
>     I could
>     > > get some suggestions from the developers (I'm relatively new
>     to the
>     > > MythTV codebase) as to what needs to be done.
>     >
>     > There has been some talk about supporting it, and from what I
>     understand
>     > it is supported when in the quicktime container. But from what
>     you have
>     > been saying it looks like it isn't in an mpeg-ts stream yet. The
>     backend
>     > shouldn't have any problem with it. Though I've never had streams to
>     > test with, I've always kept it in mind since we will need to support
>     > it when it becomes the HDTV standard in Europe.

None of the recorders have code to properly mark H.264 streams for
keyframes. This might impact things like seeking and commercial
flagging. My crude method seems to work however, so I may integrate it
more nicely into DTVRecorder, which already has code for MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2 video ESs.

>     >
>     > AFAIK no one is seriously working on this at the moment. But, if you
>     > constructed some mpeg-ts test streams with H.264 available, that
>     > might spur development... If you have any specific questions, feel
>     > free to direct them to me.

OK, sure. I'm reading over the entire playback chain at the moment =p

As for constructing sample H.264 streams, you can encode using x264 (I
haven't read DVB's specifications pertaining to what profiles and levels
will be allowed or required, but likely the main profile will be
adequate for testing) and output to say .mp4 or raw, then mux in a TS
stream using VLC or ffmpeg.

>     >
>     > If you want to submit some of your patches for inclusion, open a
>     ticket
>     > at svn.mythtv.org <http://svn.mythtv.org>, and one of the
>     developers (probably me) will take a
>     > look at it...

I didn't want to do that yet because they're mostly throwaway research
code. When I have properly tested, I will.

>     >
>     > -- Daniel
>
>     I can create some h264 (with x264, don't know if it makes a
>     difference) if anyone wants to test this?

Basically what I'm doing at this time. It would be an interesting idea
to put some copyright-free streams somewhere for developers to work
with. Someone might have done this already however :)

>     --
>     Steve

Jean-Francois Roy
Research Engineer                       Ingénieur en recherche
Communications Research Centre          Centre de recherches sur
Canada                                  les communications Canada
3701 Carling Ave.                       3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H                 CP 11490, succursale H
Ottawa, Ontario                         Ottawa, Ontario
Canada  K2H 8S2                         Canada  K2H 8S2
Tel: (613) 998-2479                     Tél.:   (613) 998-2479
Fax: (613) 993-9950                     Téléc.: (613) 993-9950
Email: roy.jean-francois at crc.ca         Cour.: roy.jean-francois at crc.ca
Web site: www.crc.ca                    Site web: www.crc.ca
Government of Canada                    Gouvernement du Canada