[mythtv] Working frontend on Mac OS X Intel

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:39:43 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Joe Rumsey <joe at rumsey.org> wrote:
> I've posted the diff to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/
> Myth_on_Mac_x86
>
> There were two problems, neither major.  One was that the Mac code
> was assuming it could compile for Altivec, even though it didn't
> require it at runtime.  In the case where it was not even available
> at compile time, it provided a NULL yuv2vuy decoder function.  This
> was what caused the crash way down in Quicktime when trying to render
> video.  Providing it the plain old C function works fine.
>
> After that, Audio was messed up, just static.  I took a wild guess
> that it was an endian issue, looked for "endian" in the Mac audio
> code, and just removed the flag telling Core Audio that the data was
> big endian.  It worked!
>
> That solved all the major issues, it works great on my new mini now.

I tried your patch last night, built the latest SVN version, and I was
able to get video on my Mini.   This is a big step forward!

On my system, displaying HD video took more than 100% of one CPU.
So, playback was a bit choppy.    I'll try to throw Apple's profiler
on it, and see where the major cpu drains are.