[mythtv] Working frontend on Mac OS X Intel

Joe Rumsey joe at rumsey.org
Fri Mar 17 23:46:12 UTC 2006

   >> I tried your patch last night, built the latest SVN version, and
I was
>> able to get video on my Mini.   This is a big step forward!
>>
>> On my system, displaying HD video took more than 100% of one CPU.
>> So, playback was a bit choppy.    I'll try to throw Apple's
profiler
>> on it, and see where the major cpu drains are.
>>
> I did a build last night with Joe Rumsey's patch along with the
ffmpeg
> patches that deal with OS X's weird/outdated assembler and I'm able
> play live HD on my MacBook via wireless.
>
> Anyone know if it's safe to turn on the Mac acceleration code?

   Part of the patch was replacing an inline asm Altivec function with
a plain old C function, that is obviously going to slow things down.
The core duo does support MMX, and SSE, but we're building it without
MMX because of compiler differences with what it's usually built
with.  Doing the work to get it building MMX-enabled ought to help a
lot.

For my part though, I don't currently have any HD sources, and the
mini already plays standard def without breaking a sweat.  I didn't
actually look at the CPU usage, but the video is flawless.