[mythtv] using myth as a remote client of iTunes.

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 19 19:21:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>Why not just download your songs from iTunes with 'PyMusique'  (
>>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7321263/  and http://drmnews.com/pymusique/ )
>>and avoid the DRM/DCMA problem altogether (songs downloaded with PyMusique
>>are not DRM protected in the first place).
>
> That may avoid the DRM problem, but certainly does *not* avoid the DCMA
> problem.  PyMusique strips the DRM from the song as it's downloaded,
> which is explicitly forbidden by the DMCA.

While I'm not really sure about this, when I read the stuff about
PyMusique a while back, it was my understanding that the content is not
protected when it's downloaded. The DRM is normally added in by iTunes
when it interacts with iTMS. Thus PyMusique neatly sidesteps the whole
DRM issue and possible the DMCA issue as it's not circumvention, it's
avoidance. But IANAL either ;)

I could also being getting all this totally wrong.

Asside from all this, is there no way to use DAAP to play the songs from
iTunes in Myth? Even the DRM limited ones? I've not really used iTunes,
so don't really know... Perhaps the server strips the DRM out when
playing via DAAP? I don't know but perhaps worth investigating.

I know Thor's work DAAP integration has stalled but I know he was able
to play iTunes content in Myth via DAAP. No idea about DRM protected
content tho'

Col.