[mythtv] problem setting ivtv tuner channel in 0.19 w/ ivtv 0.4.x?

Kenneth Padgett kenneth.padgett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:22:46 UTC 2006

> Preset tuner to channel
> Leave this blank unless you have an external tuner that is connected to
> the tuner input of your card. If so, you will need to specify the preset
> channel for the signal (normally 3 or 4).

Yup, it's set to 3. Made sure to put that in there each time I redid
the tuner card, channels, sources, etc. I deleted all of them many
times (since that's what the FAQ says to do).

> (otherwise, channel 3 isn't set where it should be ;).  If so, there was
> a discussion on the -users list where a couple of people reported it was
> not working for them in 0.19.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188083#188083

That thread describes the exact problem I have with my PVR-350 too. I
came up with the same work around of using a startup script and
running ivtv-tune to workaround the issue...

> Unfortunately, though, I haven't had a chance to look at it, yet.  Out
> of curiosity, though, what do you get when you run:
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'select * from cardinput\G'

    cardinputid: 1
         cardid: 1
       sourceid: 1
      inputname: Tuner 0
externalcommand: /usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh
     preference: 0
      shareable: N
       tunechan: 3
      startchan: 169
  freetoaironly: 1
    diseqc_port: NULL
     diseqc_pos: NULL
 lnb_lof_switch: 11700000
     lnb_lof_hi: 10600000
     lnb_lof_lo: 9750000
    displayname:
1 row in set (0.05 sec)

Could be a bug in IVTV (or Mythtv) that's specific to PVR-350's. Seams
the common thing between my setup and the thread you mentioned.

Also, in poking around, looking at dmesg I found this at the very end
(don't think this is relevant, just mentioning incase it's helpful):

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
bttv: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
bttv: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
cx88xx: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
cx88xx: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_reset
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_call_i2c_clients
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_wakeup
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_risc_stopper
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_print_irqbits
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_scale
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_shutdown
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_vdev_init
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_core_put
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_audio_thread
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_core_irq
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_core_get
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_get_stereo
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_tvnorm
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_risc_buffer
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_stereo
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_sram_channels
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_tvaudio
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_sram_channel_dump
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_sram_channel_setup
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_print_ioctl
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_free_buffer
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_boards
cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_newstation
lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=Hauppauge IR, addr=18]
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0

I don't know what cx8800 or bttv is, lirc stuff for different
chipsets? I just have a PVR-350, no other cards... Don't know where
that stuff came from, part of the lirc rpm I guess. Could this be
causing mythtv not to be able to set my tuner channel to 3?

Let me know if there's anything I can test, would be glad to help any
way I can...

-Kenneth