[mythtv] MythTV on Mac OS X for Intel

MythTV mythtv at taoyama.com
Tue Mar 21 22:27:31 UTC 2006

Todd,

On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Todd Ignasiak wrote:

> On 3/21/06, MythTV <mythtv at taoyama.com> wrote:
>> Todd and Nigel,
>>
>> I just posted on the list another mechanism for getting cpu info that
>> might help.  It uses the 'hostinfo' command to determine the cpu
>> type.
>>
>> I also just found that on an Intel machine sysctl returns some more
>> useful information.
>
> The hostinfo output doesn't look precise enough to be useful, it just
> says 'i486' for all the intel cpus.    But, the sysctl info looks very
> good.  It has much the same info as available in linux /proc/cpuinfo,
> with the CPU flags and all..

I just submitted a patch that seems to work pretty well for me.  It
works on a G3 iBook, MacMini PPC, MacMini Intel and a G5 PowerMac.

I had to use hostinfo to determine the PowerPC information and if it
can't find PowerPC it uses the sysctl to determine if it is an Intel
processor .I just filled in the variables that would have been filled
in using /proc/cpuinfo in linux.  I did have to add the model
information since the processor model was reported as a P6.

Please try out the patch and let me know if it works for you.

Mino