[mythtv] Enabling MMX on MacOS X Intel builds

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 22:15:32 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, MythTV <mythtv at taoyama.com> wrote:
> > On 3/22/06, MythTV <mythtv at taoyama.com> wrote:
> I've just been trying to get live tv to work so I can get some
> performance benchmarks on the Intel hardware so I haven't looked at
> the recorded shows menus.  My goal is to get HDTV working on a Intel
> MacMini Core Solo.  Not sure if that will be possible but I gotta try.
>
> Right now I'm teaching myself MMX/SSE programming to see if I can
> come up with an optimized y420 to 2vuy conversion routine since that
> seems to be the bottleneck right now.

I've been googling around to see if any other projects have done
MMX/SSE versions of this colorspace conversion.    But, I haven't
found any existing code.

There is also the possibility of using "Core Video" to offload some
more of the processing, such as de-interlacing,  and even the color
space conversion should be able to be offloaded to the GPU.

Unfortunately, I don't think the "Accellant" code will benefit the
Mini.  The GPU doesn't support iDCT offload.    It supposedly has HD
MPEG2 decoder capabilities, but an API to access that is unlikely.