[mythtv] Changes needed for Compilation on Cygwin

Ian Caulfield imc25 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 25 11:20:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Robin Neatherway wrote:

> Ok, I've moved my work over to the trunk.
>
> My current problem is to do with the linking of libmyth, which fails
> with the following linker errors:

[...]

> These symbols should presumably be found/resolved in
> mythmainwindow.cpp, but I'm not quite sure how this can happen given
> that is part of libmythui. libmythui also depends on libmyth so that
> would be a cyclic dependency - I'm sure that can't be the case. I
> don't run into this problem on linux, so I've been trying to track
> down the differences, but the linker commands are almost identical.
> The only file differences are as follows:

Windows won't allow DLLs to have unresolved symbols; Linux will. This was
a problem when I initially ported over - I don't think there's any way to
resolve this other than to remove cyclic dependencies...

> I am also slightly unclear on the what role Cygwin is playing in this
> whole process. Is it actually necessary, given QT is native under
> Windows, and should X be playing any part at all in the compilation
> process?

Cygwin and X don't really have anything to do with each other. Cygwin
provides POSIX functions etc under windows, which Myth needs. There was a
patch on the mailing list at one point which would allow Myth to compile
using MinGW, by reimplementing the unix-specific functions...

Ian