[mythtv] svn 9410 crashes in "watch recordings"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 27 20:12:35 UTC 2006

On 03/26/2006 08:21 PM, zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com wrote:

>Well, after a lot of trial and error, I've found a
>workaround for this problem, so I'm posting it here.
>
>The workaround was to set "RenderAccel" to "false" in
>xorg.conf.  It's quite repeatable.  Note that I am
>using an nvidia GeForce4 MX440SE with s-video TV-out.

I don't know if I'd call that a workaround since even NVIDIA says you're
on your own if you use "RenderAccel".  From the NVIDIA README (
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/appendix-d.html
):
-----
Option "RenderAccel" "boolean"
Enable or disable hardware acceleration of the RENDER extension. THIS
OPTION IS EXPERIMENTAL. ENABLE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. Default: hardware
acceleration of the RENDER extension is disabled.
-----

Basically, there's no test suite that NVIDIA can use to test whether
their implementation of Render support is correct, so they made it work
the way they think it's supposed to work, but they won't guarantee that
it's correct.

Turning off RenderAccel won't affect the quality of the fonts (the X
Render extension provides support for anti-aliased alpha-blended text
and graphics), only whether you're using the video card to accelerate
the blending.  The Render extension itself can do the work on the CPU,
and--unless you're severely lacking in CPU power (way less than 1GHz,
I'd guess)--you won't notice the difference.  Therefore, IMHO, there's
no reason to use RenderAccel until NVIDIA stands behind it.  There are
plenty of driver features they support that don't work properly, so why
assume that something they don't support works.

Mike