[mythtv] Internal DVD Player multichannel support

matt mead m-mythtv at goof.com
Tue May 2 12:08:55 UTC 2006

Mark Spieth wrote:
> I havent heard of DPL/DPLII. I dont think there is a decoder in lavc. could
> be wrong of course.
> AFAIK the only multichannel decoders present are AC3 and DTS.

Dolby Pro-Logic (matrix surround encoded into stereo audio) and Dolby Pro-Logic
II (a similar concept, though I'm not as familiar with it).

>> mythtv (and whatever ends up playing DVDs when done through myth) properly
>> output to all 6 channels given source material in DPL/DPLII and AC3/DTS
>> would
>> make life a lot easier - I could just leave the receiver in "external
>> decoder"

> just enable passthru and it should work for you as is.

Passthru will send analog output over 6 channels using ALSA?  I thought without
the patch passthru was outputting the AC3 or DTS stream over a digital coax or
optical cable?  My receiver has no AC3 or DTS decoding capabilities.  I have to
provide it analog signals over a DB25.

>> mode and be done with it.  Maybe a keystroke in the different playback
>> modes to
>> switch between surround and "bypass" (stereo (front L+R), but with
>> intelligence
>> to steer bass to the LFE channel) would be a good thing to do as well.

> might be difficult to change dynamically. leave this feature for a lot later
> :)

Ok...

-matt

--