[mythtv] mpeg4 H.264 over dvb in UK

Paul Wheeler paulrwheeler at gmail.com
Tue May 2 14:46:27 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Alan Nisota <alannisota at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/06, Paul Wheeler  wrote:
> > I am interested in the status of mpeg4 h.264 TS streams within Myth.
> > The bbc are currently trialing some HD content over dvb. I have found
> > a card that would decode it but it is pricey and dont want to have the
> > outlay if it is completely broken.
> >
> > Is this currently being maintained by anyone in particular? If so
> > wouldn't mind ahving a discussion about the status and what would need
> > to be done to get it to work.
> I have MPEG4 TS streams working with mythtv (actually on SVN trunk
> there is only a trivial patch needed to get it working).  The real
> problem is that ffh264 can't handle decoding h264 HD streams in real
> time.  My solution was to use CoreAVC which is about 30% faster and
> can decode (some) HD streams in real time (but is a windows DirectShow
> filter, so I had to do a lot of work to get it enabled, and is
> non-free so you need to pay the $10 for it).  I posted to this list
> sometime back.  See this post:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-April/047052.html
>
> It includes the hack I needed to get MPEG4 functioning which can be
> found seperately here:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-April/046871.html

Yes i found the patch mail and noticed it hadnt been applied yet (if
it is going to be). Thanks for the heads up on the h.264 codec. Will
keep an eye on it, may well try out the pay drivers as they arent much
but i still disagree with paying for software.

> Now seperately, you mention needing a new card to capture the streams.
>  Are they in DVB-S2?  Linux does not yet have official support for any
> DVB-S2 cards.  I have posted a patch that adds basic DVB-S2 support to
> myth (along with a patch to the linux-dvb list
Think I may be getting confused about the cards, still trying to find
any straight info as to whether a dvb-t card here in the uk will be
sufficient to capture the stream. I am beginning to believe it is
though not sure.

I think the bbc starts their trial in the middle of may so will try
some things out more then.

Paul