[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 14:13:52 UTC 2006

--- Paul Andreassen <paulx at andreassen.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2006 07:30 am, Jack Perveiler wrote:
> > --- David Engel <gigem at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > On the other hand, even though SchedMoveHigher defaults to off,
> > > everyone recommends turning it on and I don't know of anyone who
> > > intentionally leaves it off.  Perhaps it's time to do away with that
> > > setting.
> >
> > By "SchedMoveHigher" are you referring to the setting enabled by the
> > "Rescheduler Higher Priorities" checkbox in the Recording Priorities menu
> > (sorry, I'm not up on the scheduler lingo)?  If so then I intentionally
> > leave it off.
> >
> > I have 1 hidef card (with a higher priority) and 2 std def cards.  With
> > that option set I got bit at the beginning of the season.  The networks
> > would advertise reruns for first run season premiers the next week, but
> > would change them frequently depending (presumably) on ratings.  Instead of
> > capturing a show that night on a std def card it instead opted to wait for
> > next week when it could get it on a special night in hidef.  Then the rerun
> > would be cancelled in favor of a rerun for a different show and I'd be left
> > high and dry.
> >
> > Also, there's the water cooler effect.  Some shows just can't be put off or
> > I'll end up the social leper at work :)  I wait until they've recorded for
> > a while so I can skip commercials, but I definitely watch it before the
> > next morning.
> >
> > Instead of obsoleting that option, would you consider maybe just changing
> > the default to "on"?
> >
> > --Jack
>
> Hi Jack,
>
> I thought about your problem and believe you maybe better to make all your
> cards the same priority, with the hidef card first.
>
> Instead of forcing programs to hidef, you get hidef if nothing else (higher
> or
> equal priority) is using it.
>
> Paul

First, let me say I think I misspoke slightly.  My hidef card doesn't have a
higher priority specified by me someplace... I made my hidef CHANNELS a higher
priority.  I couldn't see where cards can be given higher priority except via
their card number.

That being said, if I follow your suggestion and remove the extra priority on
the hidef channels will things be any different?  Is card priority (determined
by it's card number) handled differently by the scheduler than channel
priority?

Along a different tack, wouldn't a conflict also cause this problem?  If I have
3 tuners and 4 shows wanting to be scheduled, and the scheduler sees it could
grab a high priority show next week, I think I would still get bitten by a
schedule change.  I'd much rather have the low-priority "Everybody Loves
Raymond" rerun dropped than the CSI season premier missed due to a later
schedule change.

Granted schedules don't change THAT often, but the time they seemed to change
the most was also the time I least wanted to miss something (premier weeks).
Between that and the water cooler effect I guess I'm still lobbying for
SchedMoveHigher to remain an option :)

--Jack