[mythtv] mythmusic/mythweather google summer of code project

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri May 5 19:32:12 UTC 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 2:59 pm, Rishabh Manocha wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently read MythTV's proposed summer of code projects at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006 and was interested in
> doing either of the MythMusic or MythWeather proposals.
>
> However, I wanted to ask the developers about the complexity of these
> projects. I have been coding in C++ for the last couple of years but
> mostly for class projects. I  have not written much C++ code for open
> source projects (I have written a couple open source projects in Java
> and Python). I wanted to do these projects 'cause I really enjoy
> coding in C++ and wanted to extend my skills in the language beyond
> the classroom. However, I do realise that MythTV wants to release
> quality software and hence I wanted to know how complex these projects
> would be. I was also interested in the other proposals on that page,
> but reading their descriptions - they all seemed of my league - am I
> making too much of them?
>
> FYI, I have been using MythTV for a while now so I think I know my way
> around the applications reasonably well.

Our project ideas are meant to take around 3 months of basically approx.
full-time work for someone that's already reasonably familiar with the
language.  Not everyone is suitable for each of the ideas, of course.  We'll
consider student supplied proposals, but things that don't look like they'll
take most of the summer won't be considered.

And just a more general note to people applying:  Take some time on your
applications.  Follow the guidelines here:

 http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html#look_like

We've gotten a lot of very short, very unacceptable applications.  2
sentences.  Direct cut and paste (without any other info) from the ideas
page.  You've got a much higher chance of acceptance if you take a couple
hours to do the app.

Isaac